Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
The same proverb can be said about and applied to running an online small business. Teach a small business owner how to devise his/her digital marketing strategy and he/she will be able to run a much more successful small business online.
It can also be helpful for any small business owner looking to outsource digital marketing to an agency to know more about the strategies that will be applied.
How to create a digital marketing strategy
Here is an infographic that perfectly outlines seven steps on how to create a digital marketing strategy.
Step 1 – Develop a digital strategy
An incredible 46% of businesses doing digital marketing don’t have a strategy or plan. When developing a digital strategy you need to define:
- Your opportunities
- Your segmentation and targeting
- Your value proposition
- Your goals
- Your audience or personas
- Your channels to drive sales and leads
Step 2 – Create your digital roadmap
Your marketing efforts will get lost if you don’t have a long-term roadmap in place. It’s recommended that you have a range of plans and checklists in place that suit your business.
- Strategic vision and roadmap
- Annual marketing plan
- Quarterly and/or monthly plan
- Editorial and content plan
- Operational and to-do plan
Step 3 – Focus on core inbound channels
You should know which inbound channels are performing best for your business, but you need to revisit and apply latest best practices especially when it comes to SEO and mobile platforms, as these are constantly changing.
- Search engine optimisation (SEO)
- Paid search marketing (SEM)
- Social media marketing (SMM)
- Email marketing
- Display advertising and remarketing
Step 4 – Bring your core competencies in-house, or outsource to an agency
The devil is in the detail so to maximise getting results in digital marketing you need to invest in the core competencies and decide if the strategy can be best executed by an in-house expert of team of experts, or if you are better off looking outwards and working with a digital marketing agency.
Step 5 – Invest in planning, evaluation and optimisation
You should make time and invest in these activities to grow your digital marketing contribution.
- Planning and post-campaign reviews are important too
- Evaluation and optimisation, reviewing insights and tests to increase ROI
Step 6 – Integrate your digital marketing activities
Integration of different digital marketing channels is one of the biggest challenges in digital marketing today.
- Develop a shared multichannel view of customer insights
- Develop campaign plans that consider all channels from the get-go
- Make sure the investment in paid, owned and earned media is balanced
- Make sure analytics is setup properly to attribute the right channels
Step 7 – Optimise your digital marketing activities
Successful digital marketing strategies are those that continually test, re-test and optimise.
- A/B and multivariate test
- Test ad creatives
- Test ad networks and remarketing techniques